Saturday, January 7, 2012

A diy hair flower comes to life!

One of my best friends is getting married this July. She is one of those super organized, gets everything done way ahead of time kind of people (I envy her for that). I planned my wedding in a matter of months... crazy I know! I made a hair flower pin for my wedding (see below) and she asked if I would make one for her. I felt like I should get it done early, keeping in fashion with her on top of the ball attitude. I knew I could whip up a similar one to what I made for myself, but I wanted to challenge myself a bit and make something a bit more complicated, that would be unique to her. I started looking online for some inspiration and that's where Pinterest came in! Yay for Pinterest! I looked at the lovely bride-to-be's Pinterest page and found a flower she pinned that I thought I could tackle...

The flower I made for my wedding


The inspiration I found on Pinterest, pinned from Project Wedding 

My materials:

  • sheer shinny ribbon that I already had at home
  • alligator clip from Michaels
  • feathers, still attached to the base (also found at Michaels)
  • small styrofoam ball (cut in half)
  • flat head pins (found in the jewelry aisle)
  • faux pearl double sided beads (found in the floral aisle)
  • crystal beads I already had at home
  • krazy glue and needle and thread to attach everything together


I tried to follow the steps from the Project Wedding sight (except I was ambitious and made my own flower out of ribbon instead of buying one). I cut petal shapes out of the ribbon, layered them, and sewed them together with the feathers on the back once I had the look I wanted. Once I had my initial flower shape, I placed a bead on each flat head pin and used some krazy glue I had on hand to glue and stick the pins into the styrofoam ball. I also cut the faux pearl beads down and glued some into the styrofoam ball to add some more depth. 


I got the amount of "bling" I wanted, then glued the styrofoam onto the flower, and glued the alligator clip onto the back. And TA-DA! The beautiful finished product. 


Now go out and create! Don't hesitate to ask if you need more details.

1 comment:

  1. Looks great Keally. I'm enjoying reading your blog, good job. The photos all look great too.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete